Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Still Ranting...

Helloooo WTMs in the Field, Got a huge kick out of a lot of your comments from my very much over the top rant from last week. I kind of had that "no more wire hangers" kind of scary tone in my last blog. Well, it ain't going away. Today's rant has to do with HORMONES. Okay, how many of you WTM's out there have, since the birth of your children, felt a bit "tired". Run down? Exhausted? Okay, me too. So, I have been going to my MD and my Gyno and a few other doctors telling them this, only to have them put me on Prozac (which is actually quite nice) and then trying to put me on just about every other "cue-ti-cal" under the sun. So basically they all just said it was in my head. But a few months ago, I started noticing that I was gaining weight in my belly (really, like I was pregnant or something), I was craving sugar, and a host of other symptoms that were really really weird. Luckily, I go to a GREAT doctor (and not just because he gave me drugs) who told me that MY THYROID HAS PRETTY MUCH SHUT DOWN. Oh. That. Okay, that might explain how I go to sleep at 730pm. And I am cold when it's 70 degrees. And little stuff like that. I really am going somewhere with this WTM's but basically....DON'T GIVE UP ON YOURSELF. DO NOT LET THEM TELL YOU IT IS FINE. The MD I am now going to says this has probably gone on for about SEVEN YEARS. AHHHH! So I rant today with a purpose. If you feel bad like I did or feel bad in a way that I didn't----listen to your body and don't get pushed around. I can't tell you how much better and more like myself I am feeling. I have energy I have not had in YEARS. I wish I could have found the doctor I am seeing now a few years back. He did some thyroid tests/hormone tests that the other doctors did not do to discover my lack of thyroid. I will find out which ones and tell you. I realize this is quite a serious moment for a blog called WTM but dammit I really thought it was MY FAULT. That if I just was a little more perfect, was more of a trooper or something----then I could pull myself up by my bootstraps and start really feeling better. Only, I forgot that you can't pull yourself up by your bootstraps if you have NO BOOTS. So call your doctors. Demand better tests and of course demand drugs. Promise to come back with a fun blog next time about the holiday HELL that is the Holiday season.

14 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

WTM-the same thing happened to me only 15 years ago. My doctor actually said to me "every overweight woman on the planet WANTS a thyroid problem, there is NOTHING wrong with you". Yeah, I got a new doctor.

A thyroid panel later (T4 and TSH levels) I was immediately put on medication and felt like a new person within about 2 days. It took awhile to get my dose where it should be but I am so glad I kept bugging my doctors.

11/15/2005 9:10 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

So many doctors nowadays are quick to prescribe a "cure-all" instead of listening to their patients and actually investigating the problem.

Glad you finally figured out what was going on...good luck!

11/16/2005 6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've got the Hashimoto type. Welcome to synthroid or a variation of it. It works eventually, and they'll keep raising your dose till it's "just right". Soooooo, the weight drops off, and then I say to the doc, 'hey, why am I still 25 pounds overweight?' and he goes 'Twinkies.' In other words, that's all FAT that I got MYSELF. Yay.

11/16/2005 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you discovered the problem! My Dr. has actually done several thyroid panels on me to see if that is affecting my fertility, so I guess thyroid and hormones are tied together more than I realized. Now, on to Holiday Hell, I'm ready for it!

11/16/2005 8:31 AM  
Blogger Shanna said...

Hmmm...thanks for posting about this! Since my son, I have had the same tired, run down feelings. I knew that I was anemic but even with the extra iron I was taking, it wasn't doing much. I'll make an appointment. Thanks again fort he info!

11/16/2005 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been trying to convince a never-ending string of doctors that I have hypothyroid disease (which I was diagnosed with in middle school). They all keep telling me my levels are fine. Meanwhile, I have every symptom in the book.

The past three months, my periods have been ridiculous (long, painful, and irregular). I went to see my gyno last week, and he thinks it may be related to...yep - my thyroid! Too bad they didn't figure this out when I was 20 pounds lighter!

11/16/2005 5:36 PM  
Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I'm with Pink Rocket. I'm always exhausted, but can't sleep b/c of the SSRIs (love the prozac, hate the side effects). Now if only I could get off my arse and call a doctor. . .

11/16/2005 5:59 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I am glad to hear that you have finally discovered your issue and have a rememdy that is working for you. Don't know what we would do if you lost your energy to the point where you could no longer post!! hehe

Good luck!

11/17/2005 8:15 AM  
Blogger Prom said...

Does all this extra energy mean you are going to turn muffy on us?

11/17/2005 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey pinkytoe,
It can't really be misdiagnosed. The doctor says you have it based on the levels on your blood. He only uses the "tired, hair falling out, fat" part to tell him to give you the test in the first place.

11/17/2005 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow.. this is too freaky. I've actually been wondering if I have a thryroid problem but I'm too embarrased to go to a dr since right now I live outside the USA. I've not really gained weight but I've been seriously trying to LOSE weight and haven't lost a thing. I'm also very hot even when it's freezing outside and I seem more tired than usual. Help! email laurajay@home.nl

11/17/2005 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup. So many times lately, docs aren't listening to us "informed" people. We've got tons of resources now (internet) and we show up saying 'please check for XYZ' and they don't want to believe that us non-doctor people could possibly have a clue. At least, that's what I think.

11/18/2005 7:32 AM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I was diagnosed with this problem this year as well. I thought they were telling me I had an overactive thyroid and I yelled, "Do I look like someone who has an overactive thyroid!?" Oops. It was found by the physicians assistant, not the big fancy man doctor, he missed it.

Apparently, it is very common in women who have had children. I too feel like a new woman! I don't need to sleep 14 hours/day and all weekend. My husband HATES that I have all this energy now.

11/18/2005 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid disease too, when I was in middle school. I found out, looking around the web, that more and more teenagers are being diagnosed with it. If you don't catch it in puberty sometimes it'll stunt your growth.

11/28/2005 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home