Monday, October 10, 2005

Baptismal Candle & Why My Daughter Will Be In Therapy

Okay WTM, forgot to tell you about the latest thing I did to ensure that my 7 year old will be in therapy in later life. So, we are Catholic, that much I have told you. This year is First Communion year and basically the entire year of Second Grade is a total fluff as they prepare them for First Communion. One of the first events to prepare the children is a ceremony that renews the child's baptism. Okay, fine. EXCEPT for the fact that this event involves the child using their baptismal candle as a part of the ceremony. What I have NOT shared with you WTM's is the fact that my youngest daughter, Katherine, has the spirit of my MOTHER in her. My mom died when Katie was a toddler but seriously, she lives on in her. I think it is my mother's way of tormenting me from beyond. This is going somewhere, I promise. Okay, so MY MOM was kind of a June Cleaverish-type of woman and had to have everything PERFECT at all times. It was her generation but it was also HER. I was, of course, her worst nightmare as she could barely get me to groom until I was 12 or 13. Anyway-----my daughter Katie, who is one of the best things to ever happen to me, has some of these traits. My husband and I can only attribute her perfection streak to my mom, as it has not been passed down from either of us. So....naturally I forget that she has to have the candle for school on Monday. Naturally, I remember at 9pm on Sunday night, when KATIE reminds me. My husband is OOT (as always) and so I can't leave the kids to run to the 24 hour grocery store. So I get up early, drag the kids out of bed early the next AM------then I make them go to the 24 hour grocery store with me so we can get a white candle that will resemble the baptismal candle. I call one of my WTM friends, who tells me that I should also put some kind of a ribbon on the candle, as some of the candles have these. We buy the damn candle and red ribbon, the only kind I can find at the grocery store. My 11 year old then informs my 7 year old that this is wrong color, causing all kinds of HELL. I explain in a very calm voice that is the only kind of ribbon we can get at the 24 hour grocery store so let's be happy. Then, in the parking lot of the school, I light the candle, burning it down a bit so that it does not look like it was purchased just 15 minutes before school. There is one minute until school starts and Katie actually makes it to school on time (which was kind of a miracle). Do not know why I am "sharing" this with you but just wanted to let you know one more reason why Katie will be in therapy in her 20's.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you mean we're supposed to *keep* the baptismal candle? oops.

10/10/2005 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear, we are in some sort of parallel life here. SSDM. Same Shit, Different Mom. I think our baptismal candle is somewhere in the basement in a box.

Here is a link for anyone who wants it. Ann Lamott is the epitome of the white trash mom. I love her. She make me feel like I am the normal one.

http://www.salon.com/weekly/lamott961021.html

10/10/2005 12:22 PM  
Blogger Purring said...

I don't have my candle. No wonder I'm in therapy.

10/10/2005 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kept the baptismal candles, but forgot to label them. Does it matter if A uses T, K, or R's candle??? Will I burn in hell for all eternity?

BTW have you read "how to be a catholic mother"? It covers these kind of emergencies.

10/10/2005 7:42 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Lord, I'm glad I'm just plain old baptist. I've misplaced (not lost) so much important baby stuff that I don't need extra things added to the list!

10/10/2005 11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just being Catholic is enough for years of therapy. You've just given her more focus!

10/11/2005 8:27 AM  
Blogger Dominique said...

As I also have a second grader in Catholic school we too are consumed with first communion. Although no mention of baptismal candle (oddly, I MAY actually know where that is), we are starting with first reconciliation. I am actually happy that they are doing this in school and I don't have to be one of those parents that have to go to all the boring meetings. PHEW!

10/11/2005 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home