Monday, April 24, 2006

Weighty Issues

Dear WTMs, Fat is on my mind today. Two reasons. First, I got an email today from Gary. Gary sent an email to the white trash palace email address with the following comment: Ladies What would we do without the men haters. keep the entertainment coming though. I understand why most of you are alone, over weight, and democrats. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! ALONE? OVER WEIGHT? DEMOCRATS? Clearly Mr. Gary has some"issues". But here is the kicker---"Gary" even gave me HIS email and his last name! Gary does not deserve it but I am not going to give out his email information because it's my daughter's First Communion week and I am TRYING to be a good mother. But just had to share the comment as it was the "cherry on the cake of my day". Second reason I have weight issues on my mind is because of playground duty last week. I was doing playground duty, yelling at some third grade boys when I hear my name being called. My muffia alert radar kicks in...I brace myself for "incoming"...when I turn around I breathe a SIGH of relief. It's not one of the evil muffia, it is one of my daughter's old teachers. One of my favorites. She is a very nice lady which is why the following conversation was even weirder: ME: Oh, it's you...HI MRS. NICE TEACHER! How's it going? TEACHER: I hardly recognized you! I saw you on duty and I had to come over here because I did not think it was really YOU! My GOSH----you have lost SO MUCH WEIGHT. ME: Well, thank you, MRS. NICE TEACHER. I went on a health kick a few months ago but... TEACHER: I mean, I said to OTHER NICE TEACHER that you look like HALF the SIZE you used to be. ME: (Starting to move away, looking for a means of escape) Well, that is awfully nice of you and it's so good to see you again...SORRY NICE TEACHER I HAVE TO GO----Tommy O'Neil has Jack Fromm pinned under the chain link fence...see you soon! As I leave NICE TEACHER, she is still talking about what a fat beast I used to be and how I've lost weight. Ladies, I am not complaining about this because I would rather have this kind of commentary than the kind where the people ask me WHEN THE BABY IS DUE. Yes, at one point I DID have a woman at the OBGYN ask me when I was due. When I was not even pregnant. OUCH. So the above commentary is BETTER! And everyone likes getting told they have lost weight. But it was just that it came from a very nice woman and her enthusiasm about my weight loss that was unsettling. It's like I think to myself: I GUESS I REALLY LOOKED LIKE HELL AFTER ALL. Not going to say anymore because it sounds like I am bitching when I am not. It was just one of those KODAK moments as a White Trash Mom. Bueller? Anyone?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The worth of a woman boils down to her weight. This is crappy but so true to many many people.

4/25/2006 2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry - I think she was trying to be nice. I always want to compliment someone who has lost weight, because I know it is hard and they have achieved something! But I don't want to sound like I thought they were horrible before - it's a fine line.

4/25/2006 6:04 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

2 things:

1: I too think the teacher was just trying to be nice. I generally comment along the lines of "Wow, you look really great!!" rather than a direct comment on weight. That way I can avoid going over the top (as nice teacher seems to have done) but still compliment the person.

2: Please tell Gary that YES I am a Democrat, and I wouldn't have it any other way! HA!

4/25/2006 6:23 AM  
Blogger queen of wt said...

I actually should not have even posted the comment because it sounds like I am complaining----the lady that made the weight comment is SOOOOO nice and I know she did not mean anything by it.

4/25/2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger Sharpie said...

Well I guess that's better then when I was preggo with 1st child DH cousin says "Oh you're not as BIG as they all said you were" Meaning my husbands family. Nice. Thanks.

My daughter is making her 1st Comm next week. Good luck!!

4/25/2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Nice one Gary, nice one....

Congrats on the weight loss.....

4/25/2006 4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, yes, sometimes thinking for yourself does lead to things like... being a Democrat. Have been for well over a decade, thank you.

As for weight, yes, to people like Gary, our worth is inversely proportional to our weight.

4/25/2006 4:53 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Oh come on, please give out his e-mail address....pretty please with sugar on top....

4/26/2006 7:44 AM  
Blogger zozosmamma said...

I hate all the weight obsession. I had a eating disorder, and I know part of the reason was because once I got to a healthy weight, all the comments and fawning I got for it made me terrified to gain it back, and obsessed with losing more. Compelments for lost weight are nice, obsessing over it is not.

4/26/2006 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet Gary never gets laid.

4/27/2006 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home