Sunday, February 26, 2006

Christmas Lights Still Up & Does God Really Want Me to Pay $150 for a First Communion Dress?

Dear WTMs, It is "Day 60" in the Christmas Light Standoff with the WT husband. Would trade Trashy Princess for her dude but I don't think she (or he) would think it was a good trade. The Christmas lights are still up. I no longer care about this fact due to the excellent advice given by my WT mom bloggers. If the lights stay up until St. Paddy's Day---I will break down and pay the kid across the street to take them down. Right now, it is just my own "sick" little waiting game. Will he do it without me nagging him to do it? How long will this take? A side note to this: Our neighbor across the street told me that she was able to sell her home "DESPITE the Christmas lights being up in FEBRUARY". I am so relieved. On to the important quest: First Communion. My second grader will have her First Communion in two months. Does God REALLY want me to pay over $150.00 for a dress? My older daughter's dress was ruined in a basement water leak at our old house so a hand me down is OUT. Keep in mind that my younger daughter is the one that made me look all over the internet (and nearly got me "hotlined" by Child Services) by looking for an EVENING GOWN for her HALLOWEEN costume (Miss Minnesota). So naturally this kid likes the dresses that look more appropriate for the "cocktail" hour rather than the First Communion ceremony. I really don't know where she gets her need to be so fashionable since I only wear a dress about twice a year and spend the rest of the time in jeans. But, she is what she is and I love her so.....we have started the First Communion dress hunt. But I have not been able to find anything that is remotely appropriate and that "Miss Minnesota" wants to wear----for under $100.00. Am I missing something? Does God really expect me to shell out that much moola for a dress that will be worn only one day? I have tried the "HAND ME DOWN" thing and she is just older or just younger than the people I would get a dress from. So at the risk of being a bad Catholic----where do I find a nice First Communion dress that is reasonable and that is "fancy" enough for the future fashionista, Miss Minnesota?

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

goodwill? salvation army? if u go shopping alone seh wont kno tha dif will she?

2/26/2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh wow. I remember first communion and feeling like the flying nun -while my veil flew in the breeze. I no longer practice.

Show her a bunch of ugly ones and make her choose. That's what my mom did. Because as a Catholic, you aren't supposed to take pleasure in that sort of thing. And if she's unhappy, you've done your job. And if you feel guilty as a result, why then, you're a good Catholic. heehee.

2/26/2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger Mom on the Run said...

No, God doesn't want you to pay all the $$ for your cutie-pie's dress, he just wants he to be a child of God no matter what she is wearing. Niece is going through her first communion in May. Sister went to Sears, though limited. I found some cute stuff on eBay for her but she wanted to be able to have her daughter try it on! Good luck! God loves Christmas lights too!

2/26/2006 9:18 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

Ok, J.C.Penny has some dresses and they are on sale! Also, do you have Marshall's. T.J. Maxx or Ross stores? Marshall's is your best bet, I saw some BEAUTIFUL 1st Communion dresses in there this week for around $50. Hope this was of help. My Daughter will be shopping next year, so I am already on the lookout.

2/26/2006 11:49 PM  
Blogger Prom said...

Check out thrift stores. Many are associated with charities and get some good stuff donated by other mom's who paid the big bucks.

2/27/2006 5:49 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Miss Minesota is going to need to understand budgeting in the future. Start helping her now.

Give her a reasonable budget and explain that it needs to cover everything, head to toe, and then help her find an outfit that fits the budget, if you have time.

Start by listing the items she's going to need: shoes, tights, slip, undies, dress, etc. Then go through her clothes and help her pick out things she can use that she already has. Then sit with her and figure out how much of her budget she wants to spend on what she needs to get.

No whining allowed, or you'll pick it for her. Tell her if she does a good job of staying in budget, you'll take her to lunch at McDonalds or some place she likes.

It's win-win.

She'll thank you when she's older.

2/27/2006 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had really good luck with consignment shops in my area. But Burlington Coat Factory is a great idea, too. They have very nice looking stuff for reasonable prices.

You might also try talking to other parishoners in your church with slightly older girls. See where they got theirs. And maybe if they're willing to part with one that may be hanging in the back of a closet. If only for the day.

2/27/2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger Sharpie said...

Cate said what I was going to say - Burlington Coat Factory has a lot for very little. And being that I have my own Drama Queen second grader making HER first Communion as well - I can tell you first hand there will be something she likes for a price you like!!

2/27/2006 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WWJD? Jesus would shop on Ebay! Of course, as mommy on the verge mentioned, she can't actually try the Ebay frocks on...kind of makes me glad we're not Catholic! Good luck!

2/27/2006 4:53 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

http://www.pinkprincess.com/index.html

I am buying my daughters flower girl dress here, but they also have communion dresses.

2/28/2006 5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u can sew why dun u just make 1 4 her

2/28/2006 10:01 AM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Is there something wrong with a white mini skirt and tube top? Would the be inappropriate? I'm sure you could get that at Wal-Mart.

2/28/2006 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try:

http://www.shopbriarpatch.com/

I've purchased 3 fancy kid dresses here, all for less than $55 and they're beautiful. Order early, though, and tell them your date is earlier than it really is (all 3 times the delivery was later than I asked). And call to place the order.

2/28/2006 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditsy Chick...that idea rocks. I'm surprised Wal-Hell hasn't gotten into the formalwear market.

3/01/2006 3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is she absolutely demanding a $150 dress? You may get her something and then alter it so she can wear it to her junior prom. you'll just have to stop feeding her so she doesn't grow.
:)

3/02/2006 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell your neighbor she's your first pick to join the Dust Bunny Club; just say it with a real sweet smile

Hattie @ MotherPie.com :)

3/02/2006 4:50 PM  
Blogger cmhl said...

girl, we still have the "skinny tree" on our front porch. I put my foot down at plugging in the lights. hahahah..

ebay. you can get CUTE dresses on ebay.

3/07/2006 6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a web site/store and we custom make all our First Communion dresses. That way we can keep the price down by cutting out the middle man. We also make dresses for that most special day from a picture your little princess finds anywhere. Our prices run around $50.00 and we can go even lower. The new styles will probably be on our site in a week, more or less. Sincerely, Marianne

12/26/2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

huhu

8/30/2010 1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home