Thursday, August 24, 2006

Now I Know Why Tigers Eat Their Young

Dear WTMs, My 12 year old is becoming a teenager. I know that Tacky Princess recently blogged about how sad she was that her daughter is going to high school. However, my house I am wondering if my older daughter will live to see high school. Of course, I am JOKING and I love my daughter with all my heart, as I always have. But let me just say that the transition into the teen years are not going to pretty at our house. Perhaps I should talk to my doctor about additional medication for me if the last few weeks are any indication. Sure, I would be in a a coma for the early part of her teen years but I would have teeth. The last few weeks have been spent totally GRINDING my teeth as a way of not completely screaming at this child/pre-teen/teenager to be. I remember 7th and 8th grade. Nearly everyone I know pretty much agrees that middle school or junior high pretty much stinks at one time or another. Unless of course you are the early bloomer who is usually also the MEAN girl..In which case you have a great time until 8th grade and then it's downhill from there. So I remember this age and how awkward it can be. I also remember that this is my daughter who got the spunk taken out of her two years ago and is still kind of raw. She is good and we are proud of her but the scars have NOT healed from the effects of the bullying and so she is extra sensitive. So I know all the facts I have just listed. But there are days..... There are days (for example, yesterday) that I just lose it. Dig if you will the picture: I am speaking to the guy that is fixing the new gutters to that NO MORE WATER leaks into our family room. So I am kind of interested in what he has to say. So there I am, speaking to the person that is going to keep our roof from caving in. The girls start to bicker and then one of them starts crying...All over a MOVIE. I thank the roof saver and calmly shut the door before the wrath of the WTM starts. I really cannot believe how quickly I turned into my MOM...Complete with gritted teeth and pointing fingers. It was quite ugly and I really hate it when I am such an uber-bitch mom. I have no guilt over the usual mom nagging but this was nuclear. I had just had it. The girls eyes popped out of their heads (even the 12 year old, who has seen EVERYTHING) and they were quite good the rest of the night and into today. But it really took it out of me! OMG getting that pissed off (it had been building) really drains me. Is raising a teenage girl really stressful or is it me? I need advice, WTMs. I need advice and another Margarita with my new best friend, Senor Patron.

8 Comments:

Blogger Titusina Andronica said...

My oldest kid is 12, so I'm just going to have to pour you a margarita or 12. ;)

8/24/2006 8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter's 14 and will be starting sr. high on Monday so I've got a couple of years experience under the belt...actually, it feels more like a tour of duty and now we're off on the next one. All I can say is batten down the hatches and belly up to the bar.

8/25/2006 5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl-you are preachin' to the choir!!(I need to write about my mental episode in Kohl's)
I totally think though that they really need to see Mom freak out to realize that they need to fall in line and appreciate the times when you do let them slide.
It makes them wonder if you really are crazy so that when they tell their friends "I can't do that-my Mom will kill me" they know they aren't lying. Tee Hee!

8/25/2006 6:55 AM  
Blogger Candi said...

I had to get a nightguard - the teeth grinding was carrying over to my sleep...

Pour me a shot. I'll cut the limes.

8/25/2006 7:41 AM  
Blogger Kim Tracy Prince said...

What happened to her 2 years ago? I'm sad for her already...

8/25/2006 2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it really is stressful raising a teen girl (mine is now 18) and I say enjoy the margs, better yet buy a good aged tequila and do a couple of shots - lime optional.

8/28/2006 9:08 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Welcome to the Wonderful World of teens. The sad news is, it is only the beginning.
Pick the battles, get a biteguard and hang on.

( mom of two teens here )

9/06/2006 5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a mother, nor a father. But all I can say from my 24 years of...WAY TO MUCH experience is that its ok to get angry, thats a simple fact of life, but never let it get too out of hand unless it will benefit some thing.

as well try to sit down and remember how you we're at that age and use that againest them, In reality the times never change truely oh new things, new methods...ect but the core of things, the feelings and the thoughts remain pretty much the same.

and with any thing in life like this its not about power, or grace its about how you can manipulate things to ur own advantage, and you are able to use trickier, and thought to ur advantage...

(dont ask me how i found this article or why i commented...lol im just weird)

11/07/2006 2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home