Friday, August 25, 2006

Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goalposts of Life

Dear WTMs, The title to today's blog entry is actually the title of a Country and Western song from Bobby Bare. My brother used to SING "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goal Posts of Life" to me to annoy me when I was growing up. Since I was a "C&W" music lover and he was a big brother, he used any and all means necessary to tease me. Now that the explanation is out of the way...I am once again blogging about the brink of the teen years. Today's incident with my "teen-to-be" reminded me of the toddler years...When this child wore nothing but red cowboy boots, a worn out "Lion King" shirt and her pj bottoms. I am not kidding when I tell you she wore NOTHING but the boots/shirt/pj fashion combo...For a month. I have mostly blocked out the toddler years for both my kids but today I had a "flashback" with my daughter. TTB (teen-to-be) is getting ready for school. She puts on a shirt she created for Girl Scout camp. Keep in mind we just went shopping and purchased some nice clothes, some "cool" clothes for her since she spent the summer in tennis shorts and a bathing suit. So she just got new clothes (which SHE even picked out). I mention to her (very nicely) that perhaps she should wear one of her new shirts. You would have thought I locked her in a closet and beat her with wire hangers! She was NOT snotty (thank God) but she seriously looked like I had slapped her. It was like I told her that we changed our minds and were dropping her off at the orphanage today. I quickly changed tactics. I decided that since the camp shirt was clean, covered vital body parts and had no bad words on it----to just let it go. Drop kick me, Jesus through the goal posts of life End over end, neither left nor to right Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights Drop kick me, Jesus through the goal posts of life

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smart woman - choose the battles. I find that with my preteen, the reverse psych still works. As in, "let's save those new shirts for later" then he'll want to wear it today!

8/25/2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger sherrypg said...

I would like to introduce you to bershon. Just so you know that we all feel your pain.

8/25/2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger queen of wt said...

sherrypg that is so hi hi hi larious about the "bershon". I am going to have to post about it. TOOOOOOO FUNNY!

8/26/2006 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home