Friday, June 16, 2006

WTM meets Girl Scout Camp

Dear WTMs, Sorry for lack of postings this week. I have been at Girl Scout Camp with my older daughter (the future film maker). Her troop and a few other troops in the area are the "helpers" at the little kid Girl Scout camp and then they also have their own camp. They are had a blast and the last day is today. I am not a camper. I like the outdoors but I like my outdoors to be:
  • 70 degrees
  • Sunny
  • Bug free
As you can see, I am not the most "hardy" of campers. My older daughter is a total nature girl and loves to be outdoors in the woods. Thank God for my husband who takes her there and who has taught her camping skills. If it had been left up to me, she would only know how to call for Room Service. But "Miss Filmaker" and her buddies were able to help littler scouts as well as start fires (scary) and be in the forest with buddies. They are having a great time. So I helped out with camp. Two of the days I had to take "Miss Minnesota", my 8 year old with me as my "assistant". There is a point here, please read on. At the camp, all the girls have "camp names". They have names that they go by during the week (ex: wildflower or cricket) and at the end of the week the girls reveal their "real names" to the younger campers and to each other. It is part of the fun. I did not have a "camp name" as some of the moms did. I can barely remember my real name so having 39 girls call me some other name would just be useless. Miss Minnesota, since she helped me, had to pick her own camp name as well. Guess what name she picked? Margarita. You know, like the drink. Yes, that's right. My 8 year old chose an ALCOHOLIC DRINK for her camp name! Not a nice animal or flower. I had NO IDEA that she even knew the name Margarita, much less she wanted to be CALLED that name for her camp name. But once she said the name, that was it. So she was MARGARITA at camp. You should have been the wide eyes of the mothers when she proudly told everyone her camp name. I wanted to crawl in a hole. I asked her, after she had blurted out her "camp name" why she chose the name of an alcoholic drink. Her answer: I like the way it sounds. Daddy drinks Margaritas sometimes and he says I will probably like them when I am old enough to have one. Spoken with the logic of an 8 year old. I know that when my husband told her that she would probably like Margaritas, he was not talking about when she was 8. He was talking about when she was 25 or 26! But Miss Minnesota has always been a little ahead of schedule. Naturally, my 12 year old and her buddies thought this was SOOOO FUNNY and encouraged MARGARITA to tell as many grown-ups as possible. It was so much fun! Last day is today. I will report in again after it's over. If someone from camp did not HOTLINE me to social services. Then I won't be able to report until Monday.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your stories about your girls so much, this one though was REALLY funny! Margarita, I love it!

6/16/2006 10:03 AM  
Blogger dariasmama said...

I don't know if it helps, but "margarita" is a perfectly acceptable Spanish girl's name.

6/16/2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger Rod Roscoe said...

It could have been much worse... her camp friends could have calling her Captain Morgan all week long.

6/16/2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh goodness!! Too funny!! I guess it's better than having your 2 y/o scream, "Beer, I see BEEEEER. Mommy, you drink that kind of BEER!!" Right smack in the middle of Walmart on a Sunday afternoon. I guess when he's old enough for camp, he can call himself "Bud Light!" LOL!

6/16/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

LOL I love kids. I teach 1st grade and the things they come up with cracks me up on a daily basis!!

6/16/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger *** said...

Yep, having your daughter name herself Margarita gets quite the looks, doesn't it? But if that's the case, my son would choose the name Budwieser.

6/16/2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger queen of wt said...

Thanks guys for your comments! I actually thought it was funny but I have to admit I was just a bit red at the camp. Rod Roscoe said that "at least they did not call her Captain Morgan". So true, so true!

6/16/2006 2:46 PM  
Blogger queen of wt said...

I just thought of something else---ADDDDDDDD-----one of my friends, another WT mom-----her kids used to call POP (soda, coke) "Kid Beers". They are older now but when they were 4, 5 years old you should have seen the looks she got!

6/16/2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Margarita = little daisy, which is eerily apt for girlscout camp....

6/16/2006 3:19 PM  
Blogger Sharon Collie said...

My idea of camping involves holing up at the Holiday Inn.

No Muffias at Girl Scout Camp?!?!? Oh, wait...how silly of me. Duh!

6/16/2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger Sharpie said...

LOL!!

Reminds me of the time my friend phoned to tell me about the "tea" party she had just had with her 5-yr old daughter, who poured herself a nice cup of tea from a tea pot and then started shaking a larger cup with all her might - to pour her mother a martini!!!

6/16/2006 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that is just so funny. Your stories always make me laugh so much. I love it...Margarita! How F-U-N fun!

Totally agree about the "outdoors" thing. Bugs! hate them, each and every one. Hotel room with a King Size bed please!

Keep up the great work on your blog, I look forward to reading it.

6/16/2006 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now, does her bedroom become "Margaritaville"?

6/17/2006 8:18 AM  
Blogger LLA said...

Oh - I love this story! You'll be reminding her of this (and vice versa) for years to come!

And I totally understand the logic - first of all it is a pretty name. And secondly, my boy Schecky (to be 8 next month) is also already excited about the prospect of his first Margarita. Even though he knows that it's a "grown up drink" and that he's not to even think about it for years....

Think about it from their point of view - Margaritas come in a cool glass that's different from other drinks, they're a cool shade of green and they look like an ICEE. What's not to love? The ultimate in being a grown up, right????

6/17/2006 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haaaaahhhhh! Love it! My 4 yr. old used to go looking around for peoples' cups to take drinks out of, and before he would drink, he would ask, "Does this have unkahol in it?" This is because he once took a drink out of a shot glass that had B*acardi in it...talk about Child Protective Services!!!

6/18/2006 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG........Margarita.....I'm dying here. That's awesome.

6/18/2006 8:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Heeheee. That is funny. If I would have been one of the other moms, i would have laughed my butt off.

6/18/2006 2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It could've been worse. She could've been asked to be called Paris or Britney Spears. LOL.

6/18/2006 5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite the alcoholic version, in spanish it means "daisy", and were it not for the cocktail, I think it's a pretty sounding name for a girl, shame, maybe I'll move to spain...

6/18/2006 6:08 PM  
Blogger Busy Mom said...

What is it about the Girl Scouts and their fake names? Those of us at regular camp never "got it", but, I think I shall be known as "Cosmopolitan" from now on.

6/19/2006 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny!! My goddaughter went through first communion classes and answered that the chalice was a martini glass.

6/19/2006 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least she didn't say, "Chardonnay" or "Pims" or "Vodka Martini with a Twist no Olive Please." Who needs "Cricket" or "Antelope Dancing in a Meadow of Hay" when you can name yourself after the single most delicious summer cocktail ever on the planet?

Margarita is a perfectly acceptible name for someone who has the trailer team behind her. Get out the bucket'o'tequila from the deep freeze and have one on me!

6/19/2006 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! And it is kind of a pretty name.

We're just getting into the embarassing comments age, here, nice to know there's still so much more to look forward to.

6/20/2006 8:06 AM  
Blogger Jenny Wynter said...

Don't know if you guys have this in the states, but here in Australia we have a cocktail called a Cocksucking Cowboy.

Now that WOULD have been awkward...

6/20/2006 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
first I didnt understand the problem, then I realised that maybe this is only here in Hungary that we have a flower called "margarita" - thats a flower that looks like a daisy but is a bit bigger than that.

6/21/2006 9:22 AM  
Blogger BabyonBored said...

Oh my God that is great! Margarita! You could always pretend it's the name of her spanish nanny. But I think it's a sign of good parenting that she already knows a drink name or two!

6/21/2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen said...

My younger niece was in preschool and they were discussing limes and coconuts. My sister heard her little voice and then adult laughter. After class, she asked her what she said. "They said some people eat limes and I said sometimes grown ups put them in beer." They are a Corona household.

6/21/2006 9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 6 year old son loves the Simpsons and he was imitating Moe (the bartender) and yelled out "Hey, no free beer!" while we were out in public!

6/25/2006 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home