Pottery Barn Versus Reality During the Holidays
Dear WTMs, I pick on Pottery Barn. I especially pick on PotteryBarnKids. I am a hypocrite that I rant about PB & "PBK" since I also covet their products. There is a point here. The point, dear WT Readers is that while I want their stuff and I am a card carrying member of the PB customer club, PotteryBarn and Pottery Barn Kids represent the retail side of the PERFECTION MYTH. The big lie. You know what I am talking about. The lie that all of us modern women got spoon fed during the "women's lib" years...that you can "have it all" AND that you can have it all while you:
- make buckets of money
- are concentration camp THIN
- bake homemade bread
- design craft projects for your kids
- speak Mandarin Chinese fluently
- romp like a sex kitten with your man
- None of the children are picking their noses
- The children are not squabbling
- All kids have clean, non stained clothing
- None of the older kids are trying to sample Uncle Jack's "toddy"
- There is no dog nearby getting fed under the table
- No children are whining
- No one is sick (there is always a sick one, every holiday)
- And finally---the plates and utensils actually match.