Monday, September 11, 2006

Where Was He Until 10 In the Morning?

Ah, the teenage years. Filled with so many firsts. First date. First kiss. First love. First time sitting behind the wheel and actually driving the car. First time going to the movies without an adult. First time to go out, stay out all night, not call home, and LIVE TO TELL THE STORY! OK, thank God that wasn't my teenager. But my friend was telling me that one about her son - who is 16 - just the other night. I nearly dropped the phone. Nice family. Seemingly nice kid. She said they knew why he didn't answer his phone when they repeatedly called him all night long, trying to locate him (guess he won't be buying the old GPS tracking device story anymore, now, will he?! - See 6/29/6 post). She said he knew that they wouldn't have approved of what he was doing. OK, so I'm so very lame that I still don't even know what that was. She said that when he finally came home - in BROAD DAYLIGHT - that he said he had never "done it before, would never do it again, and I don't want to talk about it ever again." OK, that right there would have been enough to make me vomit. So, what was "it", WTM's? Here are the things that I think it's safe to rule out:
  • Doing whipped cream (you know you know what I'm talking about...)
  • Playing Spin the Bottle.
  • Making out with his girlfriend, Little Susie (The movie wasn't so hot, it didn't have much of a plot...)
  • Smoking pot - Let's face it. That's piddly sticks in this day and age, right?
  • Went cowtipping.
  • Holding up a convenience store (Call me crazy, but we live in the 'burbs, and the kid just doesn't fit the profile)
  • Making mad love. (Now, just on GP, you and I both know that teenagers are incapable of making "mad love" - sorry, trying to keep our lovely blog pg). But that aside, again, especially for a boy, I don't think that would warrant the whole mystique of the situation - and certainly, if he said he's "never doing it again" - unless he's decided he did it with the wrong gender!
  • Went TP'ing. Lord knows, he'll have to do that another dozen times or so to get it out of his system!

SO - what the hell was it? I'm thinking really serious drugs or a major love party (with multiple partners - ewwww!). Either way, I can hardly stand to think about it. My friend sounded almost non-chalant - resigned to that fact that this is what raising teenagers was all about. Lord almighty, it's a fine line, isn't it? On the one hand, you don't want to smother them. On the other, you sure as hell don't want to be the parent who says, "Yes, you can make love to your girlfriend/boyfriend as long as you're safe and you do it under OUR roof."

Call me crazy, but maybe my parents were onto something when they had the "Don't Ask / Don't Tell policy". Oh, don't get me wrong. It wasn't spoken. Nothing official. But I knew they didn't want to know what I was up to any more than I wanted them to. And I was one of the GOOD girls! If that makes me a dinosaur, I guess I'll have to embrace it. Just call me Pebbles - or Betty - or Wilma! Just don't refer to my big strong man as Barney - or Fred - ew.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mom of Three said...

Aren't there any good reform schools still around?

9/12/2006 9:00 AM  
Blogger molly said...

Maybe your friend is just so overwhelmed by the whole thing she just can't do anything else but sound nonchalant. My daughter once tired to pickpocket a woman, I had to go to the place it happened, cops were called, it was awful. I'm sure the woman thought I was a terrible parent and didn't take it seriously, but I felt terrible, was trying hard not to break down. Wanted to drag my child out of there and chain her to her bed. I'd want to kill my child for something like this, after they came home safely, of course. This happened to a woman I knew, her daughter stayed out all night and my woman friend was a wreck. Good luck to your friend. It's not normal behavior on the teen's part and should be dealt with. In my house there'd be severe consequences.

9/12/2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger queen of wt said...

Denial isn't just a river. Sounds like your pal has a case of denial, if you want Dr. WTM's opinion. Should we call SUPER NANNY?

9/12/2006 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One guess I have is that he was out on some mean-ass farmer's property or something similar, got caught trying to rip something off, and the property owner held him and his buddies captive, playing some major mind-torture and scaring the wits out of the boys. hm...

9/12/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger S said...

eeeek. I am thinking drugs.
I have 3 teens and if they stayed out all night and half the day...the cops would be looking for them. Ohhhh I would not let this go.
Makes even ME nervous..lol.

9/13/2006 5:07 AM  
Anonymous kittywumpus said...

Eeeeuuuww. Am I the only one that watched the finale of Nip/Tuck season 3? Now THAT happening to your teenage son would be something to worry over...

9/14/2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

hello Miss White Trash.

I really enjoy reading your blog and have some advice for your friend. I have 3 boys. My older 2 are 22, and 15. If MY son ever stayed out all night at age 16, I would be angry. He would be punished. Nothing good happens after midnight. Your friends 16 yr old needs to have a strict curfew. The boy may end up dead in a ditch somewhere. Kids without rules end up being unruly adults or worse.

We, as parents have a responsiblity to protect our children, not be their "friend". I knew of boys like your sons friend. They all ended up in jail, or worse yet--being huge problems living at home with their parents for years. That's like jail for the parents. This boy sounds like he is screaming for structure. Tell your friend good luck. I can only imagine what he was doing.

- Sassy, mom to 3 boys

9/15/2006 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home