Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Is That Barf? No, It's Pizza Sauce!

WTM's, you will all be relieved to know that Darling Daughter is OK! She survived her first concert experience, and so did her wacky (or is that wack-o?) mother! She checked in twice - once during the concert and once on the way home to tell us when she'd be at her friend's to be picked up. While still at the concert, her voice was charged with energy, and it really did bring back all of the memories of those lazy hazy concert days. Here in the Midwest, we had what we called Summer Jam. They had Foreigner, Kansas, Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon...can't remember all of them. Anyway, they were all in one venue. What a blast. And yes, we had to dress the part. I was so pleased to see that my daughter and her friends wore their jean shorts, shirts and flip flops (not to be confused with thongs, you know...) to the concert. None of the hoochie mama stuff for my girl. :) Yep, she's a good girl - so far, anyway. I would have been decked out in flouncy skirt, the aforementioned Mia flats or better yet, Candies hooker heels, off the shoulder top, big wide belt cinching in my (then) tiny waist, Olivia Newton John style headband (for all that sweating we'd be doing...), glitter eye shadow up to my brows, dark lipstick, liner and blush. Oh, yeah, what a hottie. Go, eighties! So, on to the funnies of the evening. This was the kind of concert where you move from stage to stage to catch the next performer. The girls were doing just that, along with the roadies from Cheyenne, when one of the roadies happened to step on someone's unused "cup" of pizza sauce. You know, the kind with the sealed top? Suddenly, my daughter found her back side completely splattered with pizza sauce! Now, of course, in our day, you know it would have been vomit, so when I heard the story, I was immediately thinking how lucky she was that someone hadn't hurled on her. But to hear her tell the story, you would think someone had poured a vat of mucus on her. A little aside here. This is the child who, when we sat her down on the grass for the first time as a toddler, she kept trying to lift her legs up off of it. Hated the stuff. This is the child who melts in temp's above 75 degrees or humidity above 60 percent. This is the child who would only sit on the edge of the sandbox, and even then, it was pretty gross, thank you very much. This is the princess who couldn't stand to get her face wet in the pool until she was like 8, cuz, eeeeoooh! And this is the child who HATES ketchup. Makes her literally gag. She thought the stuff all over the back of her was ketchup, and she said she nearly threw up. OK, so, you're caught up on her hangup now. So, picture me, suppressing my laughter (I know, I'm her mom...it's shameful...). But I just couldn't help myself. So, I had to tell her that she would find it funny, too, by the next morning, which she did, by the way. She and her friends did their best to get her cleaned up and moved on to the next performer. And bless her heart, by the time she got home, she still had pizza sauce in places I don't even want to think about! They had a blast, got within about 5 feet of Cheyenne (my daughter's biggest thrill of the day), swears she "made eye contact with her", and she got some amazing pic's of her, too! And her line, which she proudly professed to me: "And Mom, we didn't have any encounters!" (unless you count the pizza sauce!) That's my girl!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first time is always the hardest. Next time will be easier. Congrats, Mom!

7/04/2006 9:18 AM  
Blogger dariasmama said...

Have I mentioned how cool you are as a mom? My mom didn't let me go to concerts of any kind until I was 18.

Glad she had a good time!

7/04/2006 2:58 PM  
Anonymous Sue said...

Sounds like they had a blast and what great bands. When my boys were 14 and 17 I let them go to Oz Fest - The Ozzie Osborne festival. (It was the 14 yr olds first concert.) When I picked them up I of course asked how was the show, what was the crowd like - the 14 year replies 'I am so staying in school.'

7/05/2006 1:51 PM  
Anonymous marti (standing still for once) said...

Oh, yea. SummerJam. KY102. We ROCK Kansas City. Thanks for the memories.

7/05/2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yeay! Sounds fun. She sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders....

7/05/2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger Leahpet said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/05/2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger Leahpet said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/05/2006 5:26 PM  
Blogger Leahpet said...

Ahhh concerts bring back such memories. One of the best concerts we went to was the Van Halen "1984" concert at the Cap Center. Diana and I drove up to Landover, MD., in her Camaro with the t-tops out, blasting Van Halen, Ratt, and AC/DC all the way. We wore skin tight pants, tiny wife beater tops, Candies, loads of make-up, and big mall hair. Quickly, we made our way inside and found our assigned seats, dumped our stuff there and went to get some beer.

We returned to a preppie couple sitting in our seats. Diana and I looked down and saw our jean jackets, soaking in a mixture of beer and bong water. We went ballistic. I ordered them to get out of our seats, but there they sat. Not used to being ignored, Diana walked over and yanked the muffie by her hair and dragged her out of the seat. When the boyfriend stood up, I realized he was about 4 inches shorter than me and a compete wussy. I asked, "You want some of what your girlfriend got?" He jumped out of the seat, and abandoned his girl.

We picked up our jackets, put them on the railing to dry and rocked out to one of the best concerts ever -- David Lee Roth even flew over us in his white unitard.

Good times, good times.

7/05/2006 6:39 PM  
Blogger R. Robyn said...

Oh what a good girl! I would have found something naughty to do, for sure!

7/07/2006 4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a mom is so hard. Didn't you secretly want to follow her and watch over her? No one would have noticed the stalker in the trenchcoat and dark glasses, right?

7/08/2006 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home