Thursday, June 29, 2006

Mid-Summer Night's Blues

Wow, could it really be almost the middle of summer (while, technically, it truly just began, in terms of the actual season...)? Here in the Midwest, where we live, school has already been out for over a month. We are well into the swing of summer. We've gotten past those dreadful first couple of weeks of summer where the kids had actually forgotten what to do with all of their time. That's where I came in with the lists of things for them to do. You know, like this one: Empty wastebaskets Clean one bathroom of your choice Straighten den Pick up everything in house that belongs to you (that's a great one, don't you think?!) Of course, this is assuming that their own room is already clean, which is a lofty assumption in and of itself. As soon as I start making the lists, the summer boredom and the "what can we do's" seem to simultaneously V-A-N-I-S-H - VANISH! Funny how that works, huh? So, yes, we've gotten into the "routine", if you will. My oh-so-soon-to-be-high-schooler has discovered every reality show known to man, much to my chagrin, and I find myself creating DUMB rules like, "You may only have a combined two hours of computer time, TV or Playstation each day. I hate what I sound like, but I also despise that it takes a hunky boy walking down the street to get her even to consider walking out the front door to get a breath of fresh air, let alone ride her bike, shoot some hoops or hit some tennis balls against the garage door. God forbid she break a SWEAT! OK, I'm ranting. Have I mentioned before that you all are very cheap therapy? Thanks ever so much. And may I just say that if you hear a heavy "thud, thud, thud" sound emanating from the general vicinity of my humble abode, that would just be the music of our 11 year old, who has suddenly switched from show tunes 24/7 to Hit List, blasted just below the legal limit before your eardrums burst. All Show Tunes, All The Time could be quite a trial after a period of time, but I am beginning to pine for the days of "I'm Going to Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair" and "Bill, I Love You So, I Always Will". Anything's better than "Don't You, Don't You Want to Do Me Now?" (I'll tell you what I want to do with you...) Now entering my soundproof bedroom for a little R & R with my big strong man. Thank God for that little bit of respite, and double thank God that he doesn't like to listen to "his" music (think headbanger) in our private quarters - mostly only in his car (phew...!). Must...sleep...now. A little James Taylor, Sheryl Crow or Natalie Merchant might be nice right about now. Signing off. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Divacowgirl said...

I'm just as bad with the TV thing that I actually gave my kids "tokens" which are in reality poker chips and each token is worth half an hour and after they're gone for the week that's it. It's hilarious because I find them watching TV with the kitchen timer and the best thing of all is I don't monitor the tokens, but they think I do. Paranoid little buggers.

6/29/2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger Alabama said...

bwahahahaha, if I try something like this at the Improper house I get blank stares and can hear the crickets chirp.

7/02/2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger SistaSmiff said...

My soon to be high school son actually changed the cat litter and cleaned the box yesterday. I about fainted.

That awta do him for the summer. Boy, that was hard.

7/02/2006 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home