Monday, May 22, 2006

The Oxymoron of The Eighth Grade Graduate

OK, my week from hell is over, and now I officially have a few minutes to breathe. And, of course, to BLOG to you, my WTM comrades! Naturally, as is so often the case with me, once all of the festivities of a really busy week wind down, I find myself sick - again! Who gets a really bad cold this time of year? Moi! My oldest daughter graduated last week. From what you might ask? Well, judging from the pomp and circumstance, one would certainly think it was high school at the very least. But alas, she'll be with us for four more (gulp) teenage years. It was only 8th grade graduation. We'll save the over-the-top festivities for another blog entry. But here, I'll just run thru some of the idosyncracies of being an 8th Grade Graduate (i.e. 14 year old girl) The Oxymoron of the Eighth Grade Graduate:
  • Too old to ride her bike - too young to drive (thank you, God...)
  • Too old to visit playgrounds - too young to go park with boys in their lots (ditto above...)
  • Too old to play with Barbies - too young to dress like one
  • Too cool to go to the mall with Mom - too young to be dropped off alone
  • Too hip to go to the movies with Mom and Dad - too poor to go very often with just her friends
  • Too old to order the kids' meal - too small an appetite to be ordering from the adult menu (it's just not worth it!)
  • Too old to play in the ball pit at the fast food restaurant - too cool to hang with the parental units instead
I could go on forever. But you know what? I have to figure that if it's hard for me to have a teenage daughter, it has to be oh, so painful to BE the teenage daughter - no matter how well adjusted she is or how perfect her mother is (HA!). The world is so different from when you and I were growing up. We had temptations, yes. But I don't think we had the pressures that teens today face. Not in the same way anyway. One more thought to tease you to keep reading our blog. My next entry will be all about dealing with the Muffia through the trials and tribulations of the Eighth Grade Graduation. You younger moms may want to print it out, laminate it for preservation purposes and tuck it away for future use. Trust me when I tell you. It WILL come in handy!

8 Comments:

Blogger ^starshine said...

OoOoO I can't wait! Gotta find some paper to shove in the printer. It seems my girls use it all up to color on.

5/22/2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yup. I remember that age. I did alot of babysitting. That's pretty much one of the few things you can do... Then you have movie and shopping money. :-)

5/22/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger SistaSmiff said...

I have an 8th grader who is almost done with 8th grade, however, he is a boy and praise Jesus, there is no "graduation" here for that and boys have different issues.

I also have a daughter who will soon be 13 and is knee deep in all that you describe. I do feel for her. Trying to fit in, thinking she can't associate with this kid or that kid because she'll be considered a (gasp) geekette. I try to tell her....I try, try, try to impart some of my wisdom...i guess I have to give it up that she'll have to learn it on her own.

5/22/2006 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you next post... I'm dealing with the Muffia for *5th* grade graduation!

5/23/2006 12:36 PM  
Anonymous Kate the Shrew said...

I can remember being 14, back in the dark ages. I think the oxymorons are why teens do so much moping.

Though, my (hugely overprotective) parents did start dropping me off at the mall with a friend at that age... might be worth a thought, unless your local mall just isn't safe?

5/25/2006 7:27 AM  
Blogger tacky princess said...

Suburb where we live very safe, generally speaking. Popular mall where we live not so much, according to a new cop friend of ours who says the gangs have moved into the mall. Scares the crap out of me.

5/25/2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger Adi said...

Find Internet Marketing resource hare Online Marketing Strategy Internet Marketing Tools Online Marketing Campaign Online Marketing Business Online Marketing System Online Business Online Home Business Online Business Tips Internet Marketing Online Online Marketing Affiliate Marketing Online Marketing Success Selling Online Free Online Marketing Online Marketing Tools Online Marketing Blog

11/14/2009 2:34 AM  
Blogger Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa

12/01/2009 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home