Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My Big Strong Man

Let me just start off by saying that yes, I know that I am in a somewhat unique situation when I say that my husband is a HUGE help around the house. Granted, there are some things he does better than others, but as a general rule, I am one of the luckiest women I know in this regard. I just want to take a moment to give him the glory he deserves for a change. Tomorrow, he's headed out of town for five days, and I guess you could say that "pre-absence" makes the heart grow fonder. The mere thought of having to function without him for a few days makes me want to whine. Instead, I'll just tell you about all of his wonderful qualities. So, for the time being, let's just forget that he got me a vacuum cleaner for Christmas - uh huh. You read that right. The appliance that sucks the crud off your floor - - - the one that PLUGS IN to the wall - - - as a G-I-F-T - - - GIFT! Yes, FORGET that. Never mind that he plays endless games on the computer (much to my chagrin...). Don't even consider the fact that he spends countless hours figuring out who to trade for on his fantasy baseball team (yawn...). Just disregard all of that. . . because when I now list the litany of things he does for me and for our family, I will look like the dolt that I am, and you will hate me forever. You will wonder just what it is that I do all day if my husband does all of these things for me. OK, here goes. Number One. He does laundry. Yep. The fact is, I don't seem to generate nearly as much laundry as anyone in the rest of the family, so I don't "notice" when it starts piling up as soon as he does (how male does that make me sound?!). I honestly don't know how he gets his clothes dirty so much faster than I do, but there it is. I guess all that testerone just does that to a person. I mean, I work out, so that generates laundry. I change my underwear on a daily basis. I don't walk around in grungy, dirty, pitted out clothing. I do wear clean clothes. My laundry just doesn't seem to pile up in the same monumental way that his and the kids do. Now, of course, we all know that the kids classify anything that left their drawer for more than 5 seconds as dirty laundry. And if it lay on the floor and got wrinkled, well, by God, that's FILTHY! God forbid they re-fold it and return it to the drawer! Far better to just throw it in the hamper! So, my hubby just seems to stay on top of it before I even notice that it needs to be done again. Again, how much more like a guy could I sound?! I know. It's pathetic! Now, I have to ignore the fact that I have to re-fold every single piece of laundry that he does. Hey! I am NOT complaining. Believe me. I know the gold mine that my big strong man is. Number Two. If he is the last one out of bed in the morning (which, I am again embarrassed to admit, is usually NOT the case), he MAKES THE BED. I am telling the truth. No, my husband is not a gay man, hiding under the sham of marriage. Mind you, the finished bed looks nothing like when I make the bed. The sheet may be untucked at the bottom, the pillows might wind up upside down, and things could look a little cockeyed, but hear me once more. NOT COMPLAINING! The bed is made, and this is one less thing for me to do. I don't even begrudge the fact that he does it in less than half the time that it takes me to do it (same with folding laundry...). Numero Tres. Generally, my hubby is the one to get the kids going first thing in the morning, and yes (now hanging my head in shame...), he even usually makes their breakfast. In my defense on this one, he is a TOTAL morning person, and I quite the opposite. Morning is DEATHLY painful. I wish I had his constitution. He requires less sleep than I, springs out of bed each a.m. and makes me look like yesterday's coffee grounds by comparison. Yet, he loves me so! Further in my defense, I make sure the kids have everything they need for school, drive them there, and I do make dinner on a reasonably regular basis. More than many moms I know. Of course, when you have this much help, what excuse would I have not to? (And a new vacuum, to boot!) Back when our children were still very small, and I still ran the treadmill of full-time employment and mommyhood, my husband used to travel. A lot. I truly feel for those of you WTM's whose husbands travel. It is pure hell. Been there. Done it. Glad to be thru it. Now that the kids are a little older, it's way easier when hubby has to travel on the fairly rare occasion that he does now. But back in the day, when said kids were tiny and said hubby would travel (often overseas for weeks at a stretch...), he'd call home, and at the first sound of his voice, I would often just burst into tears. It was so stressful without him. I felt so guilty doing that to him. It certainly wasn't intentional, but there it was. It made him feel horrible, which in turn made me feel like a total witch. My comment then (and even today!) was always, "If you weren't such a darn good husband and father, it wouldn't be so awful when you were gone!" Now, that's a bit of a backhanded compliment, I know, but I still maintain that he appreciated it all the same. I could go on with this list forever. Does 95% of the lawn work (just about everything outside the house, in fact), takes time off work to clean the basement, even cancelled his own social plans when I had my recent "volunteer emergency meltdown". Suffice it to say that I am happy to have the very best husband that I could possibly have. I know it's past Valentine's Day, and it won't be Father's Day for a while yet. I just felt like celebrating my big strong man. He's mine. I love him, and I ALWAYS will! Here's to the husbands! And yes, you can remind me of this post the next time I am ragging on mine about something! We all need a little reminder now and then, don't we? So, tomorrow, when my hubby boards the big bird heading for the Left Coast (again), will I shed any tears? No, ma'am. I'll spread out crosswise in our great big bed. Hell, I might even eat chocolates in bed while watching a chick flick. And of course, as has always been my tradition, I'll watch an infomercial or two when I can't sleep. It's amazing the products a deranged WT Mama like me can find to buy on television at 2 in the morning. Ah, but that's another story for another day, now, isn't it?!

11 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

Have a great trip and God Bless you for having such a great man!!! :)

2/22/2006 6:01 AM  
Blogger The Cake Lady said...

That is such a great post! Nowadays it's hard to find such a generous husband who LIKES helping his wife! I am lucky too, to have a wonderful husband who helps! He is not above picking up the house, throwing in some laundry or cooking dinner when I'm just too pooped! Sounds like the two of you know what is most important in your lives. It's hard to find nowadays!

2/22/2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger mommy on the verge said...

Yes, mommy on the verge husband loves to clean house! He could be a professional cleaner! His older sister taught him. He lOVES to vacuum and wanted ME to buy HIM a Dyson vacuum ($400!) for Christmas! He owns 5 different vacuum's and his friends tease him about being 'gay!'I guess there is something very soothing about vacuuming! GO HOUSEWORK HUSBANDS!

2/22/2006 1:42 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Can we take a chunk of his brain and put it into my husbands? My hubby does do laundry. But that's pretty much it. He travels alot too. Probably why we don't have a second child....

2/22/2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Crazy Lady said...

What a good man! My husband is terrible at cleaning house. He will pick up and run the vac - but that is it. BUT when it comes to taking care of the kids - there are times when he is a better mom than I am. (of course, those times do not include vomit)

2/22/2006 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Jamie said...

WOW! Can you clone him? Seriously, what a great husband you lucky WT mom! My husband loves to cook and for that I am VERY thankful. He also makes a mean margarita as he bartended for years. Let us know what you buy in the wee hours while he's out of town! I always get suckered in by the Philosophy stuff on QVC. ;)

2/23/2006 5:13 AM  
Blogger parrotheadmom said...

You are a blessed woman~ I am too, my sweet husband does dishes and lets me nap on the weekends, after he takes the youngest to gymboree! He does bedtime for our 4 and 2 year olds.
I, too, am spoiled, but eternally greatful!
He also boards the plane next week, ugh.
My husband got me a new vacuum, too, but it's a kirby and I can shampoo the rugs with it, too. Although, it was NOT my Christmas gift.

2/23/2006 4:03 PM  
Blogger Princessa said...

I have one too! Mine does not do laundry, but the dishes every night and gets the kiddies ready for bed, God Bless him.

2/23/2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger Sahve said...

I still can't believe anyone would put up with a man that thinks that doing housework in a house he lives in is 'helping'. I guess the one good thing about my mother-in-law is that she raised her sons up right. My hubby does all the dishes, grocery shops, takes out the garbage, drives our daughter around just as much as I do, does some of the cooking and can operate the vacuum. On top of all that, he sells booze so our liquor cabinet is overflowing and he makes a mighty fine manhattan!

2/24/2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

My husband's take on the bed, "why make it, when you are just going to mess it up again."

Give your honey a hug for me when he gets home.

2/28/2006 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Cybele said...

you are killin' me!

3/02/2006 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home