Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Recipe to Knock Muffy's Holiday Socks Off!

Confession. Tacky Princess loves to bake. Yep! It's true. And does that make me a muffy? Well, you be the judge, but I daresay it doth not! I had a cooking show on yesterday while doing a million other things around my cramped kitchen. Not cooking, mind you! Our home, I believe, is like many other American homes. The kitchen is the center of the universe, you see. As you come in from the garage, everyone and their dog deposits everything they own directly onto the stove. Yes, the stove. It's one of those radiant heat, flat top jobbies. Love it (though would totally choose gas next time around...), but since it's a flat surface, it tends to get eaten up with our J-U-N-K, JUNK! Just to the right of my stove lies my desk, if you can call it that. My desk is a neverending nightmare of papers, mail, magazines, broken toys, spare batteries and things that we're forever looking for but cannot seem to find. Once in a blue moon, it's cleared off enough to see the top of it, and ahhh, what a pleasant split second that is. . . Every eon or so. . . Other than the bar in the kitchen (read: another flat surface to throw our crap on...), the rest of the house stays relatively tidy a good deal of the time. Except for my "office", which looks like the Wicked Witch of the West rode through on her broom, looking for Toto. Thatwithstanding, our house is pleasing enough, if a little on the smallish side. But I digress. So, getting back. I was trying to tidy up in the kitchen from hell, when I was struck with an idea! Give our dear WTM readers a little ammo against the muff's. And why not? We all need a little help now and then, right? So, I had these finely chopped pecans leftover from my favorite cookie recipe. They're not toasted or anything, so they really don't taste like anything special. And I had this epiphany! I love nuts (being one and all...), and I'm always using them in various ways in salads for dinner. Anyway, one of the ways I love to make them is by cooking them on the stove with a little sugar, to carmelize them. I do it with sliced almonds all the time. Then, I just keep them on hand. Great on a salad with a little balsamic. So, here's your recipe to keep the muff's at bay... to knock their jingling holiday socks off! Take some as a hostess gift to your next "function". Wrap with L-O-V-E, love. :) I'm calling it Reindeer Chow (or if that's just too muffy for you, call it Pecan Nuggets!): Reindeer Chow 1 cup finely chopped pecans 1/3 cup sugar 2 t. butter or butter spread (your call) Pour pecans into a medium skillet. Heat over medium to medium high. As pan begins to warm, add sugar. Stir almost constantly. As the sugar starts to melt / carmelize, add the little bit of butter, mixing it in. Reduce heat to medium low. Continue stirring, until nuts start brown and the sugar is carmelized. (Taste if you need to!) Remove from heat. Spread onto a cookie sheet with a piece of wax paper on it (hate cleaning...). Let cool. Kazam! You've got Reindeer Chow! Eat it by the handful. Toss it into a salad. Use as a topping over ice cream. Add it to your favorite breakfast cereal. My daughter had some with her sliced apples and caramel dip after school yesterday. She was diggin' it, let me tell you! Just a little gift from me - Tacky Princess - to you. When the Muffy's ask for the recipe (which they invariably will do, I assure you!), just tell them you whipped it up, and you're not sure you could duplicate the recipe! Which is truly what I did, so if measurements are not perfect, sue me. Throw tinsel on me. Tie me up with garland. Cheers!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's this for a white trash question? - Does the t. stand for teaspoon or tablespoon?

11/30/2005 1:04 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Good idea. THanks!

11/30/2005 1:30 PM  
Blogger tacky princess said...

The t. stands for teaspoon. Sorry for being unclear!
TP

11/30/2005 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Hope said...

and here I thought all the flat surfaces in my kitchen had a junk magnet and it was just me alone. Makes me feel much better. I did a monthly clear all ...oh, a few weeks ago. Won't get around to it for at least another 4 weeks.

Love the recipe. Would love to share with my mom...she digs the "oh I just whipped it up" recipes.

11/30/2005 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You say your funk is over and you are going to be funny again.. well you're just trying too hard and sorry, it's not funny.

12/01/2005 2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a baking project for you for next Halloween!

http://www.theyrecoming.com/extras/pumpkinfest03/

12/01/2005 5:40 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wonderful idea! Thank you!!

BTW, I just have to say I love your blog.

12/01/2005 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Foofoohead said...

I make these without the butter. And they're glorious. But I can't wait to try them with the most wonderful substance known to mankind--BUTTAH!!! YUM!!!!

12/01/2005 10:41 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Let's not stop at knocking the Muffia's socks off, let's knock their BLOCKS OFF!!! Sorry, don't know where that came from. Can't wait to try the recipe!!!

12/01/2005 1:57 PM  
Blogger Crazy Lady said...

I made these tonight. Yummy!!! The kids were eating them still hot. So I made a second batch. I added a drop of vanilla to the second group. That was supper yummy too. I doubt they will last long enough to use as a Christmas Gift!

12/04/2005 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home