Monday, November 28, 2005

A Closet Full of Goodies!

Tacky Princess here. Have you recovered from your Tryptophan comas? Sorry for my little hiatus. We spent the holiday out of town at my brother and sister-in-law's house (my kids call it a mini-mansion!). Sis-in-law is a domestic goddess in every sense of the word. House is gorgeous, gracious and homey. Food is to die for. Recipes are used when felt like. Alcohol is served in appropriate quantities. Due to the home's size, it never looks cluttered like mine. Here's the key, though. Sis-in-law is no Muffy. She is warm and funny and (though overworked on weekends like these) the consummate hostess, without doing anything to try to make you feel minimized. LOVE her to death! If it weren't for these wonderful qualities, she and their charmed life would be very easy to hate / envy! HA! My brother's house, then, is a nice retreat when it comes to a holiday like Thanksgiving. The family joke is that we don't see the kids (except for the scrumptious meals!) from the time we arrive there until the time we pack up to leave. Some would find this to be objectionable, but we tend to call it BLISS - - or a few days of H-E-A-V-E-N - that's right, heaven! This time, my husband and I got our college-aged niece's quarters, which include a nice sized room with a queen sized bed, large sink / vanity area, huge walk-in closet and access to the bathroom shared with the next room over. A very nice retreat, indeed. The five youngest cousins sleep altogether in the room we call the studio - a 1,000 square foot multi-purpose room on the second floor. They set up a tent, and two or three sleep in there, while the others sleep on a large, older sectional sofa. They LOVE being altogether in the one big room! So, back to the huge walk-in closet. My niece's closet represents every teenager's dream come true. Yes, it's like a fairy tale closet, if you will. There are assorted prom / cocktail / homecoming dresses from the last many years, most of which, while definitely well worn, are still in great shape. I found 6 red dresses, alone. There was the cow costume from her early youth. Not to mention the scads of books to pore over. There's even a chair in there in case you get tired while going through her things! Now, you may be thinking, "spoiled brat", but there, my WT friends, you would be wrong! Not only is this niece not spoiled, she is an absolute delight, has an almost full academic scholarship for college and has a job, earning more already than most college grad's are earning. If you are thinking "charmed life", I'll grant you that one. Smart, ravishing and sweet as can be. She and her fiancee are "waiting" until they are married to do the "wild thing"! Hard to believe in this day and age. I only hope that my kids grow up to be half as nice and successful as she is bound to be. Getting back to the fairy tale. Next the vanity. It's like being in the cosmetics department of a combo drug store / department store. Only everything's unwrapped, and you can try it all! I always tease my niece that half the fun of visiting other people's homes is getting to use all of their cool stuff! Well, staying in her room is what I imagine it would be like to visit Oprah! All of the coolest stuff you've been dying to try - right at your fingertips, and with her blessing, no less! Bed Head Super Hard Spray for Dummies (or somesuch!), conditioner for your FACE. Yes, your face. You put it on after you cleanse to replenish the moisture - before you moisturize. Sugar scrub for your hands (love those!), sugar scrub for your feet, millennium magic for your eyes, seven different kinds of mascara. You get the picture. At one point, my husband came upstairs looking for me. He found me sprawled out on the floor, surrounded by tulle, tiara on my head, half my face made up one way, the other another. He said I looked like Cyndi Lauper! With glazed eyes, I grabbed all of the product in front of me and snarled, "Mine!" He didn't know the danger in which he'd put himself! I didn't know so many different types of hair straightener existed. Or lipsticks. Or lotions, potions and colognes. amazing what a little pampering can do to a girl. Truly amazing. My inner princess got nurtured - - just for a weekend. Before we left to come back home, I filled my niece's car with gas. I don't know. She's such a great kid. I just felt like doing something nice for her. I guess she's just one of the many things for which I am thankful. Hope your weekend was equally wonderful. Back soon!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Is your sis-in-law looking to adopt? I could be convinced to stay at her place for the weekends.....

11/29/2005 10:01 AM  
Blogger Serra said...

Sugar scrubs are a yummy little luxury--I make my own and mmmmmmmm!

11/29/2005 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Sue said...

You, your SIL and your neice all sound great. What a pleasure to read a funny, nice (no snark) story like this.

11/29/2005 12:14 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Can I come over next time too? Just to oohh and ahhh because I would love to see how everything is decorated.

Did they make a deal with the devil or something? If so, where do I sign?

11/29/2005 9:41 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I laughed out loud at the mascara.

My daughter Lullah (age 15)is obsessed with mascara. She has at least 4 different tubes. She's convinced the perfect one is "out there". I just hope she doesn't go all Tammy Fay one day.

11/30/2005 12:07 AM  
Blogger Prom said...

Man, the kid sounds like a saint if she doesn't mind you going through all her stuff. That would really creep me out and I'm not even a teenager! eewwwww

11/30/2005 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home